||Nancy's picks for the best picture books
of Spring/Summer 2004. Compiled by Nancy Polette © 2004.
Last updated: Monday, May 31, 2004
- Albee, Sarah. THE DRAGONS SCALES. Illustrated by John
Manders. Random House, 2004. Gr K-2.
- The dragon wont let the people cross the bridge
to get to the berry patches until a math contest (using the
dragons scales) is proposed and won by a little girl.
- Bedford, David. MOS
STINKY SWEATER. Illustrated by
Edward Eaves. Hyperion, 2004. K-3
- What happens when a favorite sweater needs a good
wash but the owner doesn't want to give it up?
- Brown, Margaret Wise.THE GOLDEN EGG BOOK .
Illustrated by Leonard Weisgard. Golden Books, 1947. Re-issued
2004 by Random House. K-2.
- Guess what is inside the egg that bunny finds? He
handles the egg very carefully and finds a new friend after his
- Connor, Leslie. MIS
BRIDIE CHOSE A SHOVEL .
Illustrated by Mary Azarian. Houghton-Mifflin, 2004. Gr 2-4
- A young immigrant chooses a shovel to take with
her on her travels and finds multiple uses for it throughout her
Doreen. DUCK FOR PRESIDENT, Illustrated
by Betsy Lewin. Simon & Schuster, 2004. Gr 2-4
- Duck, who began life in a pond, works his way
from farmer, to governor to president, but is it really worth the
- Fleming Candace.
GATOR GUMBO . Illustrated by
Sally Anne Lambert. Farrar, 2004. Gr K-3
- Gator cant catch the tasty meals he used to
have. But one day he decides to make a big pot of spicy, hot gumbo
, but how will he get the other animals to help him boil, catch,
sprinkle and chop?
- Funke, Cornelia, THE PRINCESS KNIGHT , Illustrated
by Kerstin Meyer...Chickenhouse, 2004.
- A princess who wishes to be big, strong and brave
teaches herself to become the bravest knight in the land.
- Garriel, Barbara S. I KNOW A SHY FELLOW WHO SWALLOWED A
. Illustrated by John OBrien. Boyds Mill Press,
- This take off on I Know An Old Woman Who
Swallowed a Fly introduces instruments of the orchestra as a shy
fellow swallows each one.
- Hesse, Karen. THE
CATS IN KRASINSKI SQUARE .
Illustrated by Wendy Watson. Scholastic, 2004. Gr 2-4
- Stray cats help two children get food to those
who are trapped behind Ghetto walls in war torn Poland.
- Hoberman, Mary Ann. YOU READ TO ME, ILL READ TO
. Ilustrated by Michael Emberley. Little Brown, 2004. Gr K-2
- Very short fairy tales to read together.
- Icenoggle, Jodi. TIL THE COWS COME
Illustrated by Normand Chartier. Boyds Mill, 2004. Gr 2-4.
- Here is a western version of the traditional
Jewish folktale where a cowboy receives a gift of chaps. As the
chaps wear out he makes a variety of things from the leather.
- Jahn-Clough, Lisa. ON THE HILL . Houghton-Mifflin,
2004. Gr K-2
- Camille and Franzi live on separate hills and
have trouble finding each other when each sets off to visit the
- Kimmel, Eric. A. DON QUIXOTE AND THE
Illustrated by Leonard Everett Fisher. Farrar, 2004. Gr 2-4.
- Here is a richly illustrated retelling of the
tale of Don Quixote and his companion, Sancho Panza. Mistaking
windmills for giants, Don Quixote goes bravely into battlewith his
trusty friend beside him. Here is a a funny, loving portrait of
one of literatures best known knights.
- Lansky, Bruce. MARY
HAD A LITTLE JAM . Illustrated
by Stephen Carpenter. Meadowbrook Press, 2004.
- A clever sequel to traditional rhymes..children
will enjoy comparing the two.
- Palatini, Margie. MOOSEKITOS. Illustrated by
Henry Cole. Hyperion, 2004 K-3
- Moose misses his family and invites them all for
a visit. When they all get to Moose Lodge, things dont go quite
- Park, Linda sue. THE FIREKEEPERS SON .
Illustrated by Julie Dowling. Gr 2-4
- When the fires are not lit on each mountain top
there is trouble in the land and the soldiers will come. Sang-he
knows the fires ae important but he would like to see the
- Raven, Margot Theis. CIRCLE UNBROKEN . Illustrated
by E.B. Lewis. Farrar, 2004. Gr 2-4
- As a grandmother weaves a sweetgrass basket, she
tells the story of her people from life in a village in faraway
Africa, to the enslavement of a people and finally, freedom. A
rich story of a craft, a culture and a people.
James. Dog-of-the-Sea-Waves . Houghton
Mifflin, 2004. Gr K-2
- A fictional account of the discovery of the
- Sturges, Philomon.
SHELL BE COMIN ROUND THE MOUNTAIN WHEN SHE
. Illustrated by Ashley Wolff. Little
Brown, 2004. Gr 2-4
- A Southwestern version of a favorite song with a
surprise ending when the reader discovers who "she" is!
- Turner, Ann. PUMPKIN CAT . Illustrated by Amy June
Bates. Hyperion, 2004. K-3
- Two librarians adopt a small cat they find in the
"Returned Books" bin. When they leave for the day the cat is
lonely and searches for someone to talk to.
- Wallace, Barbara Brooks. ARGYLE. Illustrated by
John Sandford. Gr K-3.
- Argyle was a milti-colored sheep and his wool
made the most beautiful argyle socks. He becomes famous but does
not like being in the spotight. His wool falls out and he retreats
to the comfort of the farm.
- Wells, Rosemary. MY KINDERGARTEN . Hyperion, 2004.
- A year in kindergarten with all of the
celebrations, lessons and activities.
- Wojciechowskii, Susan.A FINE ST. PATRICKS
Illustrated by Tom Curry. Random House, 2004. Gr. K-3.
- Each year the towns of Tralah and Tralee have a
St. Patricks Day decorating contest. Every year Trahah defeats
Tralee. Things will be differentt this year when a funny little
man with pointed ears and boots trimmed with bells shows