||Nancy's picks for the best picture books of fall
2003 and ideas for using them in the classroom. Compiled
by Nancy Polette © 2003.
|Last updated: Monday, October 13, 2003
Bartoleti, Susan. NOBODY'S
NOSIER THAN A CAT. Illus by Beppe Giacobbe. Hyperion, 2003. Gr K-3
- Cats described with rich vocabulary, humor and imagination.
Bunting, Eve. LITTLE BEAR'S LITTLE BOAT. Illus by
Nancy Carpenter. Clarion, 2003.Gr K-2.
- What will Little Bear do whenhe grows too big for
the boat he loves so much?
Cronin, Doreen. DIARY OF A WORM. Illus by Harry
Bliss. HarperCollins, 2003. Gr K-3
- This is a worm not much different from people
except he eats his hmework and his head looks a lot like his rear
end. Discover his daily doings and his hidden world.
Davidson, Rebecca Platt. ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE.
Illus by Anita Lobel. Greenwillow, 2003. Gr 3-6
- The world and works of William Shakespeare told
Deacon, Alexis. BEEGU. Farrar, 2003. Gr 1-4
- Beegu is a small lost alien who finds Earth
creatures unfriendly except for some of the youngest. A touching
story that shows the world through the eyes of an innocent
Flaming, Candace. BOXES FOR KATJE..Illus by Stacey
Dressen-McQueen. Farrar, 2003. Gr 2-4.
- A true story of how a family in the U.S. made a
difference in the lives of the starving people in Holland just
after World War II.
Garland, Michael. MISS SMITH'S INCREDIBLE
STORYBOOK. Dutton, 2003. Gr K-3
- What if characters could come right off the pages
of a book and take over your classroom? That is what happens in
this unusual picture book that proves that reading is active, not
Geras, Adele.MY GRANDMOTHER'S STORIES. Illus by
anita Lobel. Knopf, 2003. Gr 2-6
- A treasury of Jewish traditions and lore.
Glaser, Shirley. THE ALPHAZEDS. Illus by Milton
Glaser. Hyperion, 2003. Gr 1-3
- As each letter of the alphabet enters a room it
displays an emotion. A is angry, B is baashful etc.
Goble, Paul. MYSTIC HORSE. HarperCollins, 2003.
- A poor boy nurses a sick horse to health.
The animal helps the boy to achieve greatness only to be betrayed.
The boy's remose is sincere but will he be forgiven?
Grey, Mini. THE VERY SMART PEA AND THE PRINCESS
TO BE. Knopf, 2003. Gr 2-4
- Learn how to tell a real princess from a fake
princess through the eyes of a Very Smart Pea!
Harper, Wilhelmina. THE GUNNIWOLF. Illus by
Barbara Upton. Dutton, 2003. Gr K-3
- A little girl saves herself with a song as she
meets the Gunniwolf in the forest.
Krosoczka, Jarrett. ANNIE WAS WARNED. Knopf,
- Annie was warned to stay away from the scary
mansion but she makes the creepy crawley trip anyway. Just the
right shivers for young listeners.
O'Neill, Mary. THE SOUND OF DAY, THE SOUND OF
NIGHT. Illus by Cynthia Jabar. Farrar, 2003. Gr PreK-2
- Brainstorm: what are day sounds? night sounds?
Share this book to find out. .
Regan, Lara-Jo. A WINKLE IN TIME. Random House, 2003. Gr K-3.
- Mr. Winkle ventures off histoy's beaten path to
sniff out some of the world's forgotten champions and visionaries.
Shannon, George. LIZARD'S GUEST. Illus by Jose
Aruego and Ariane Dewey. Greenwillow, 2003. Gr K-2
- When Lizard steps on Skunk's toe, Skunk won't
forget it, but Lizard makes things right no matter what it takes.
Smith, Linda. THERE WAS AN OLD WOMAN WHO LIVED IN
A BOOT. Illus. by Jane Manning. HarperCollins, 2003. Gr K-3
- An old woman wants to get rid of the noisy
chidren who move in next door but finds her solution is worse than
the original problem.
Spinelli, Eileen. THREE PEBBLES AND A SONG.
Illus. by S.D. Schindler. Dial, 2003. Gr K-2
- A small mouse sets out to gather things for
winter but the things he brings home seem useless..or are they?
Stamaty, Mark Alan. WHO NEEDS DONUTS? Knopf,
2003. Gr 3-6
- Sam helps a man collect donuts in a wagon. When
the man falls in love and marries he gives the wagon and donuts to
Sam. But what will Sam do with them? "Who needs donuts," says an
old woman, "When you've got love?"
Stanley, Diane. GOLDIE AND THE THREE BEARS.
HarperCollins, 2003. Gr K-3
- Goldie wants a friend, not one that is too bossy
or boring or snobby or rough. One day she gets off the bus at the
wrog stop, walks to a nearby cottage and discovers a new kind of
Steig, William. CDC? Farrar, 2003. Gr 2-6
- A re-issue of the popular word puzzle book done
Yoken, Jane. THE FLYING WITCH. Illus by Vladmir
Vagin. HarperCollins, 2003. Gr 1-3
- A witch looking for plump young children to eat
is o match for a feisty little