||Nancy's picks for the best picture books
of Spring 2007. Compiled by Nancy Polette © 2007.
Last updated: Tuesday, October 07, 2008
- Alsenas, Linas. PEANUT.
Scholastic, 2007. Grades K-2
- Lonely Mildred finds a pet she thinks is a dog, but it doesn't act at all
as a dog should. It is gray and has a long trunk. A fun story and a good
- Banks, Kate. FOX.
Illustrated by Georg Hallensteben. Farrar, 2007 Grades pre K-2
- Little Fox grows with the seasons and learns the tricks of survival.
Lovely prose for reading aloud.
- Bauer, Marion Dane. A MAMA FOR OWEN.
Illustrated by John Butler. Simon & Schuster, 2007
- A touching tale of an orphaned hippo and a tortoise friend
- Casanova, Mary. SOME DOG!
Illustrated by Ard Hoyt. Farrar, 2007. Grades K-2
- A new dog arrives at George's house. George is slow, the new dog is fast.
What's an old dog to do to show he's still "Some Dog?"
- Oershator, Phillis. SKY SWEEPER.
Illustrated by Holly Meade. Farrar, 2007.
- Takeboki is the flower keeper for the temple and finds joy in his work though
others urge him to find a better job.
- Hassett, John and Ann. CAN'T CATCH ME.
Houghton-Mifflin, 2006. Grades K-3.
- An ice cube sets off for the ocean and meets an ant, a mouse, a goose and
others on the way. A fun book to compare to The Gingerbread Boy.
- Hayward, Linda. THE KINO'S CHORUS.
Illustrated by Jennifer P. Goldfinger. Clarion Books, 2006. Grades K-2
- A fun tale of a rooster who crows all night keeping the farm animals awake
and the clever solution to the problem from Honketta, the goose.
- Kimmel, Eric. RIP VAN WINKLE'S RETURN .
Illustrated by Leonard E. Fisher. Farrar, 2007. Grades 2-4
- A beautifully illustrated retelling of the classic tale of Rip who awakens to
find his whole world has changed.
- Landstrom, Lena. A HIPPO'S TALE.
Farrar,2007. Grades PreK-2
- Mrs. Hippo's bathing and quiet time is interrupted by a monkey. What is
she to do?
- LaRochelle, David. THE END.
Illustrated by Richard Egielski. Scholastic, 2007. Grades K-3
- A fun tale of a princess, a knight and a dragon that begins at the end.
Excellent for introducing cause and effect.
- Mora, Pat MARIMBA! ANIMALES FROM A TO Z.
Illustrated by Doug Cushman. Clarion, 2006. Grades preK-2
- When monkey plays his marimba the zoo animals celebrate with dancing and food. Easy to learn
Spanish words presented in a coloful setting.
- Moser, Lisa WATERMELON WISHES
Illustrated by Stacey Scheutt. Clarios Books, 2006. Grades K-2
- Charlie and Grandpap spend the summer planting and caring for watermelon seeds. Charlie assures
Grandpap that they are growing a "wishing watermelon." A gentle story of a warm relationship between young and old.
- Paul, Ann Whitehad. FIESTA FIASCO
Holiday House, 2007. Grades K-3
- Snake is having a birthday party...but what present can each guest bring?
- Rocco, John. WOLF! WOLF!
Hyperion, 2006. Grades K-2
- A hungry wolf is dreaming of a feast when he hears a boy calling "Wolf!, Wolf!" Could it be they boy is inviting
him for lunch?
- Schneider, Judy and Weeks, Mary. BUT NOT QUITE!
Classic Day Publication. Grades K-2
- A delightful book for introducing concepts of simliarities and differences. Beautifully illustrated.
- Sheth, Kashmirra. MY DADIMA WEARS A SARI.
Illustrated by Yoshiko Jaeggi. Peachtree, 2007. Grades K-3
- Rupa's grandmother wears a sari and shares all the wonderful things a sari can do. A glimpse into the
culture and customs of India.