||Nancy's picks for the best non-fictionof Winter
2007-2008.Compiled by Nancy Polette © 2008.
- Last updated: Tuesday, May 06, 2008
- Borgenicht, David and Robin Epstein. THE WORST CASE SCENARIO SURVIVAL HANDBOOK.
Illustrated by Chuck Gonzales. Chronicle Books, 2007.
- An advice book for 8-10 year oIds on everything from bullies to bad report cards.
- Brown, Don. DOLLEY MADISON SAVES GEORGE WASHINGTON. Houghton Mifflin, 2007. Grades 2-4
- How Dolley saved the White House treasures when the British attacked.
- Bruchac, Joseph. BUFFALO SONG. Illustrated by Bill Farnsworth. Lee & Low, 2008. Grades 3-6
- The inspiring story of the first efforts to save the buffalo from extinction.
- Cummins, Julie. WOMEN DAREDEVILS. Illustrated by Cheryl Harness. Dutton, 2008. Grades 4-8
- Fourteen women with nerves of steel who performed daring acts.
- Curlee, Lynn. MYTHOLOGICAL CREATURES. Atheneum, 2008. Grades 4-6
- An excellent introduction to creatures from the literature of mythology.
- George, Jean Craighead. THE WOLVES ARE BACK. Illustrated by Wenall Minor. Dutton, 2008. Grades 2-4
- How wolves were brought back from near extinction.
- Harris, Jay M. THE MOON IS LA LUNA. Illustrated by Matthew Cordell. Houghton Mifflin, 2007. Grades K-2
- Silly rhymes in English and Spanish.
- Hartland, Jessie. NIGHT SHIFT. Bloomsbury, 2008. Grades K-2
- Discover the world of work that goes on at night.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett. AMERICA AT WAR. Illustrated by Stephen Alcorn. McElderry Books, 2008.
- A collection of 50 poems and paintings related to eight of America's wars.
- Kerley, Barbara. WHAT TO DO ABOUT ALICE? Illustrated by Edwin Cunningham. Scholastic, 2008. Grades 3-5
- A lively biography of Alice Roosevelt, oldest daughter of President Theodore Roosevelt.
- Lach, William. BABY ANIMALS. Metropolitan Museum of Art. Abrams, 2008. Grades K-4
- Simple text and paintings of baby animals from the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Larios, Julie. IMAGINARY MENAGERIE: A BOOK OF CURIOUS CREATURES. Illustrated by Julie Paschkis. Harcourt, 2008.
- Poems about creatures from the mythological world.
- Lee, Carol Ann. ANNE FRANK AND THE CHILDREN OF THE HOLOCAUST. Puffin Books, 2008. Grades 6-10
- Photographs, first person interviews and journal entries from some of World WAR II's youngest prisoners.
- Lucke, Deb. A BOOK OF TIME OUTS. A Mostly True History Of The World's Biggest Trouble Makers. Simon & Schuster, 2008. Grades 3-6
- Very short accounts with humorous illustrations of adults who needed time out for breaking rules.
- Marrin, Albert. THEODORE ROOSEVELT AND THE RISE OF MODERN AMERICA. Dutton, 2008. Grades 5-Adult
- The genius, courage and tragedies of Roosevelt and the effect of his policies on American yesterday and today.
- McGuire, Bill. NATURAL DISASTERS. Kingfisher Books, 2007.
- Brief, illustrated explanations of a variety of natural disasters including volcanoes, earthquakes, floods and tornadoes.
- Park, Linda Sue. TAP DANCING ON THE ROOF. Illustrated by Istvan Banyai. Clarion Books, 2007. Grades 2-5.
- Three line SIJO poems from Korea with a twist in the third line.
- Porcellino, John. THOREAU AT WALDEN. Hyperion, 2008. Grades 5-8
- Thoreau's philosophy with cartoon illustrations.
- St. George, Judith. STAND TALL ABE LINCOLN. Illustrated by Matt Faulkner. Philomel Books, 2008. Grades 3-6
- The dramatic events of Lincoln's early years and the influence of his stepmother in assuring an education for the boy.
- Schulevitz, Uri. HOW I LEARNED GEOGRAPHY. Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2008. Grades 1-3
- The author/artist recalls his childhood in World War II and the map that took him far away from his hunger and misery.
- Sturges, Philemon. THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS. Illustrated by Ashley Wolff. Little Brown, 2007.
- A lively Hispanic adaptation of a familiar Christmas song. "A Piñata for the Pinion Tree." Grades K-3
- Weatherford, Carole Boston. I, MATTHEW HENSON. Illustrated by Eric Velasquez. Walker, 2008.
- A picture book version of the travels of African-American explorer Matthew Henson.
- Wilding, Valerie. REAL PRINCESSES. Walker, 2008. Grades 3-6
- Photographs, illustrations and fascinating facts about real princesses around the world.
- Yaccarino, Dan. GO, GO AMERICA. Scholastic Press, 2008. Grades 2-4
- Fun facts and illustrations about each state.