||Nancy's picks for the best non-fiction of Winter
Compiled by Nancy Polette © 2002.
- Last updated: Tuesday, October 07, 2008
- Arnold, Ann. THE ADVENTUROUS CHEF: ALEXIS SOYER.
Farrar 2002. Gr 3-6.
- The story of the man who
revolutionized the culinary world.
- Arnosky, Jim. FIELD TRIPS. HarperCollins, 2002. Gr
- With hints for sharpening
observational skills, the author takes you on a hike to discover,
draw and record birds, insects, shells, animals and other finds
from a busy day's watch.
- Arnosky, Jim. TURTLE IN THE SEA. Putnams, 2002 Gr
- Turtle must battle sharks,
boats, storms and nets to stay alive. An exciting tale.
- Bishop, Nic. BACKYARD DETECTIVE: CRITTERS UP
CLOSE. Scholastic, 2002 Gr 3-6
- A photographic exploration
of creatures common to backyards. Young explorers will discover
their own minitaure wilderness.
- Brown, Craig. BARN RAISING. Greenwillow, 2002.
- An Amish community builds a
barn in a day. A tale of generosity, cooperation and neighborly
- Brown, Don. FAR BEYOND THE GARDEN GATE.
Houghton-Mifflin, 2002. Gr 3-6
- Alexandra David-Neel's
journey , treking through snow-choked mountain passes and wild
encounters on the Tibetan tablelands in 1924.
- Carr, Karen. DINOSAUR HUNT. HarperCollins, 2002.
- The lifelike art of Karen
Carr creates a strange and threatening world and one of the most
gripping tales a few footprints ever told.
- Cohen, Daniel & Susan.
HORRORS. Dutton, 2002. pb Gr 4-8
- 101 monster sightings, UFO
visitations and hauntings from every state pack this guide to
America's most hair-raising places.
- Davis, Kenneth C.
DON'T KNOW MUCH ABBOUT THE KINGS AND
QUEENS OF ENGLAND? HarperCollins, 2002. Gr 4-7
- In question and answer
format the author shows royal life, what it is like to wear a
crown, the ruler's changing role in making laws, battles, castles
and much more.
- Driscoll, Laura.
NEGRO LEAGUES; ALL BLACK
BASEBALL. Illustrated by Tracy Mitchell. Grosset,
- Story of the Negro teams
that played betwen 1900 and 1947.
- Fink, Sam. THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE.
- An illustrated edition of
the words that made America.
- Freedman, Russell.
RULE. Illustrated by Frederic Clement. Scholastic,
2002. Gr 4-6.
- A lively introduction to the
life and teachings of Confucius.
- Freedman, Russell.
GIVE ME LIBERTY.
Holiday House, 2002. Gr 4-6
- The story of the Declaration
of Independence, lavishly illustrated.
- Gellman, Marc. AND GOD CRIED,TOO. HarperCollins,
2002. Gr 3-6
- A kids' book of healing and
hope as an angel-in-training learns about God.
- Giblin, James
Cross. THE LIFE AND DEATH OF ADOLPH
HITLER. Clarion, 2002. Gr 7-9.
- An excellent biography
detailing the forces that shaped Hitler, the conditions that
brought him to power, and why his name inspires anger, fear and
hatred even today.
- Green, Michelle.
A STRONG RIGHT ARM.
Dial 2002 Gr 5-7
- The story of Mamie "Peanut"
Johnson, only one of three womento play in the Negro
- Haduch, Bill. SCIENCE FAIR SUCCESS SECRETS.
Dutton, 2003. Gr 3-6.
- Ways to create original,
prizewinning science fair projects.
- Holub, Joan. VALLEY OF THE GOLDEN MUMMIES.
Grosset, 2002 Gr 2-5
- Easy inroduction to mummies
with humorous illustrations.
- Krensky, Stephen.
PAUL REVERE'S MIDNIGHT
RIDE. Illustrated by Greg Harlin. HarperCollins,
2002. Gr 3-6
- A dramatic account of the
night Paul Revere galloped into history.
- Lafasse, Emeril.
THERE'S A CHEF IN MY
SOUP. HarperCollins, 2002. Gr 4-7
- Recipes for kids to make
alone or with an adult chosen by a famous chef and tested by
- Lerner, Carol. BUTTERFLIES IN THE GARDEN.
HarperCollins, 2002. Gr K-3
- A beautifully illustrated
introduction to butterflies and how to lure them into your garden.
- Marrin, Albert.
DR JENNER AND THE SPECKLED
MONSTER. Dutton, 2002. GR 4-7.
- A combination of medical
detection and human history in the search for a smallpox vaccine.
- Meltzer, Milton.
TEN KINGS AND THE WORLDS THEY
RULED. Orchard Books, 2002. Gr 4-8.
Hammurabi to Peter, the Great, here is a chronicle of how
political leaders use and abuse power. Stories of ten kings show
how one person can change the course of history.
- Myers, Walter Dean.
PATROL: AN AMERICAN SOLDIER IIN
VIETNAM. Illustrated by Ann Grifalconi.
HarperCollins, 2002. Gr 4-8
- A dramatic picture book
account of a young, frightened soldier on patrol during the
Vietnam War. Heart-pounding and tense.
- New York Times.
A NATION CHALLENGED.
- A visual histoy of 9/11 and
- Nixon, Joan Lowery.
THE MAKING OF A
WRITER. Delacorte, 2002. Gr 5-8
- A prolific author takes the
reader on a journey toward reading and ultimately writing.
- Patent, Dorothy Hinshaw.
THE LEWIS AND CLARK TRAIL: THEN AND
NOW. Dutton, 2002. Gr 4-7.
- The contrast between the
American West then and now with prints, photographs and paintings.
- Pinkney, Andrea Davis.
ELLA FITZGERALD;THE TALE OF A VOCAL
VIRTUOSA. Illustrated by Brian Pinkney. Hyperion,
- "Determination was her
teacher. The sidewalk was her stage. Imagination was her
spotlight. A well told biography of the famous singer.
- Rockwell, Ann. THEY CALLED HER MOLLY PITCHER.
Knopf, 2002. Gr 2-4
- A rousing tale of the
American Revolution and one very independent-minded woman, Molly
- Ryan, Pam Munoz.
WHEN MARION SANG.
Illustrated by Brian Selznick. Scholastic, 2002. Gr 3-6.
- A beautifully illustrated
life of the famous singer, her talent, the strength of her
character and the troubled times in which she lived.
- Sheindlin, Judy.
YOU CAN'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER:
COOL RULES FOR SCHOOL. Illustrated by bob Tore.
Cliff Steet books, 2002. Gr 2-5
- Judge Judy tackles moral
choices kids must make every day at school.
- Shafer, Anders C.
THE FANTASTIC JOURNEY OF PIETER
BRUEGEL. Dutton, 2002. Gr 4-7
- The two year journey of the
artist, observing, drawing and, at times, escaping from danger.
- Stanley, Diane. SALIDAN NOBLE PRINCE OF ISLAM.
HarperCollins, 2002. Gr 5-7
- Biography of the 12th
century warrior who longed for peace. Revered even by his enemies
as the "marvel of his time."
David. MODEL T: HOW HENRY FORD BUILT A
LEGEND. Crown, 2002. Gr 4-6.
- The story of how Henry Ford
built a sturdy, dependable, inexpensive car despite warnings that
it couldn't be done.
- Zoehfeld, Kathleen Weidner.
DINOSAURS BIG AND
SMALL. HarperCollins, 2002. Gr 1-4
- A colorful introduction to a
variety of dinosaurs with large, easy-to-read print.