||Nancy's picks for the best non-fiction of fall
2003 and ideas for using them in the classroom. Compiled
by Nancy Polette © 2003.
Ada, Alma Flor. PIO PEEP! HarperCollins, 2003. Gr K-3
- Traditional Spanish nursery rhymes told in Spanish and English.
Aliki. AH, MUSIC! HarperCollins, 2003. Gr K-3
- An introduction to instruments, artists and performers.
Byrd, Robert. LEONARDO;BEAUTIFUL DREAMER. Dutton, 2003. Gr 4-8
- A lavishly illustrated biography of Da Vinci as a dreamer with a thirst for knowledge.
Cole, Henry. ON THE WAY TO THE BEACH. Greenwillow,
2003. Gr K-3
- Find a place to sit and watch and listen. On thebeach or in the woods or in a salt march, what can you see and hear?
Cole, Joanna. MRS FRIZZLE'S ADVENTURES: MEDIEVAL CASTLE.
Illus by Bruce Degan. Scholstic, 2003. Gr 3-6.
- A lavishly illustrated introduction to castles and Medieval life.
Judith. THE GREAT EXPEDITION OF LEWIS & CLARK. Farrar, 2003.
- A retelling ot the expedition as told by Private Reubi Field.
Gauch, Patricia Lee. UNDER AT GETTYSBERG. Illus by
Stephen Gammell. Boyds Mill, 2003. Gr 3-6.
- The battle of Gettysburg as seen through the eyes of a child.
RABBLE ROUSERS. Dutton, 2003. Gr 3-6.
- Short biographies of 20 women who made a difference in American life.
Hynes, Margaret. THE
BEST BOOK OF EARLY PEOPLE. Kingfisher, 2003. Gr 4-6
- Both text and art trace the origins of human progress.
Jenkins Steve and Robin
Page. WHAT DO YOU DO WITH A TAIL LIKE THIS? Houghton-Mifflin, 2003.
- Animal parts are shown on one page and the animals and how they use them on the next.
Keenan, Sheila. SCHOLASTIC BOOK OF
OUTSTANDING AMERICANS. Scholastic, 2003.
- Short biographies of 450 Americans.
Koontz, Dean. EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY. Illus by Phil
- Here are poems for every holiday including unusual holidays like Praise-the-Chicken Day and
Krull, Kathleen. I HEAR AMERICA SINGING. Knopf,
2003. Gr 3 up
- A wonderful collection of American folk songs with CD included.
Krull, Kathleen. WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN ROSWELL?
HarperCollins, 2003. Gr 3-6.
- Facts and rumors about UFOs and aliens. Easy reading.
Peters, Lisa Westberg. EARTHSHAKE. Illus by
Cathie Felstead. Greenwillow, 2003. Gr 3-6.
- A wonderful collection of poems that will fit into any geology unit.
CORN CHOWDER. Greenwillow, 2003. Gr 2-5
- Illustated poems about everyday things.
Swinburne, Stephen. THE WOODS SCIENTIST.
Photographs by Susan C. Morse. Houghton-Mifflin, 2003. Gr 3-6
- A close glimpse at the homes of woodland animals.
Thomson, Sarah L.
STARS AND STRIPES. Illus by Bob Dacey & Debra Bandelin.
HarperCollins, 2003. Gr 3-6
- Beautifully illustrated story of the American flag.
U'Ren. MARY SMITH. Farrar, 2003. Gr 2-4
- The true story of a woman whose job it was to wake up the people of her
town by shooting pebbles at their windows.
Waldman, Neil. THE
NEVER-ENDING GREENNESS. Boyds Mill, 2003. Gr 2-4
- The story of the Jews who escape to Israel and build a new home.
HOUR OF FREEDOM: AMERICAN HISTORY IN POETRY. Boyds Mills Press.
2003. Gr 4-8.
- Poems that chronicle American history from the Colonial era to today.
Micucci, Charles. THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE
ANT. Houghton-Mifflin, 2003. Gr 3-6
- Clever illustrations reveal the role ants have played on Earth since prehistoric times.
Rappaport, Doreen and Joan Verniero. VICTORY OR DEATH!
HarperCollins, 2003. Gr 4-6
- Stories of the American Revolution.
Sandler, Martin. AMERICA'S GREAT DISASTERS. HarperCollins, 2003.
- Accounts of major disasters and the courageous and strong Americans who faced them.
Stevenson, Harvey. LOOKING AT LIBERTY.
HarperCollins, 2003. Gr 2-4
- The story of the Statue of Liberty told through verse and paintings.