||Nancy's picks for the best junior novels
of Winter 2008 - 2009; 2009 Spring. Compiled by Nancy Polette © 2009.
Last updated: Monday, February 01, 2010
- Arnosky, Jim. THE PIRATES OF CROCODILE SWAMP. Putnam, 2009. Grades 4-6
- Two kidnapped boys escape but find they must survive in their hiding place, a crocodile swamp.
- Auch, Mary Jane. A DOG ON HIS OWN. Holiday House, 2008. Grades 4-6
- K-10 plans a daring escape from the dog shelter. Will the other dogs go along with his plan?
- Baker, E.D. THE DRAGON PRINCESS. Bloomsbury, 2008. Grades 4-6
- Every time Millie gets mad she turns into a fire-breathing dragon, scaring off all friends and suitors. To get help she
must visit the Witch of the North guarded by a troop of abominable snowmen.
- Bearn, Eemily. TUMTUM & NUTMEG. Little Borwn, 2009. Grades 3-5
- The adventures of two mice who live in a broom cupboard and look after two disheveled children threatened by an evil Aunt Ivy.
- Feiffer, Kate. THE PROBLEM WITH PUDDLES. Simon & Schuster, 2009. Grades 4-6
- Having parents who agree to disagree means twice as many presents on your birthday but it can also complicate your life. A fun read.
- Kehret, Peg. STOLEN CHILDREN. Dutton, 2008. Grades 4-7
- What does a baby sitter do when thieves show up to steal the baby? A suspenseful thriller with a spunky heroine.
- Kingfisher, Rupert. MADAME PAMPLEMOUSE AND HER INCREDIBL EDIBLES. Bloomsbury, 2008. Grades 4-6
- Uncle Lard wants his niece, Madeleine, to steal Madame Pamplemouse's recipes for his restaurant.
- Kinney, Jeff. DIARY OF A WIMPY KID: THE LAST STRAW. Amulet, 2009. Grades 3-6
- Another winner in this popular series. Greg will never change his wimpy ways, even if threatened with military school!
- Levine, Kristin. THE BEST BAD LUCK I EVER HAD. Putnam, 2009.
- In 1917 Dit and Emma, who is the daughter of the newly arrived black postmaster, plan together to prove the innocence of
a friend unjustly accused of a crime.
- Milway, Alex. THE MOUSEHUNTER. Little Brown , 2009. Grades 4-6.
- Adventure with swords, sea monsters, betrayal, lies and the chance to capture the most dangerous man in mousing history.
- Myers, Anna. SPY. Walker, 2008. Grades 6-8.
- Jonah promised his dying father that he would remain loyal to King George, but his new teacher, Nathan Hale, inspires him
to think about the nation's growing turmoil and the boy finds his loyalties divided.
- Patron, Susan. LUCKY BREAKS. Atheneum, 2009. Grades 5-8.
- The sequel to The Higher Power of Lucky features the young heroine in another set of adventures in Hard Pan ( pop 43.)
- Priestley, Chris. TALES OF TERROR FROM THE BLACK SHIP. Bloomsbury, 2008. Grades 4-6.
- A strange visitor to the Old Inn has many ghost stories to tell to young Ethan and Cathy.
- Reeve, Philip. MOTHSTORM. Bloomsbury, 2008. Grades 5-8.
- As a sinister cloud approaches the planet, Georgium, Myrtle and her family are determined to rescue the planet's two
inhabitants, a missionary and his daughter.
- Ritter, John H. THE DESPERADO WHO STOLE BASEBALL. Philomel, 2009. Grades 5-8.
- Put together two rough, tough ball teams in 1881, add Jack Dillon who longs to be on a team. Mix with desperados in a
high stakes game for a fun-filled baseball saga.
- Seidler, Tor. GULLY'S TRAVELS. . DC Books, Scholastic. Grades 4-6.
- Gully moves from a life of luxury to a ramshackle house in Queens when his master's fiancé is allergic to dogs. His plan
to escape goes awry but a new and harrowing adventure helps Gully find his true home.
- Selznick, Brian. THE HOUDINI BOX. Atheneum, 2008. Grades 2-4.
- A young boy tried the escapes of Houdini with no success until he discovers the real secret of the Houdini box.
- Smith, Sherri L. FLYGIRL. Putnam, 2009. Grades 5-8.
- Ida Mae Jones hides her true identity to join the Women's Air Force Service Pilots in World War II.
- Sorrells, Walter. ERATUM. Dutton, 2008. Grades 4-7.
- Jessica becomes involved with a powerful device that can be used to change reality.
- St. John, Lauren. THE LAST LEOPARD. Dial, 2009. Grades 4-6.
- In Zimbabwe, Martine and Ben must save the great leopard, Kahn from hunters.
- Weatherill, Cat. WILD MAGIC. Walker, 2008. Grades 4-7.
- Mari, led away from Hamelin by the Pied Piper, finds herself in a new world as cruel as it is beautiful
- Williams, Alex. THE DEEP FREEZE OF BARTHOLOMEL TULLOCK. Philomel, 2008. Grades 4-7.
- A snow covered village, a maker of fans, a local tyrant and a desperate situation make for a fantastic story.