||Nancy's picks for the best non-fiction of Winter
Compiled by Nancy Polette © 2001.
- Last updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2002
- Alexander, Sue. BEHOLD THE
TREES. Illustrated. by Leonid Gore. Arthur A. Levine, 2001. Gr 3-6
- A life story of the trees of Israel and the changes that took place by the people who lived, prayed, built and fought under their
- Clinton, Catherine. THE BLACK SOLDIER 1492 To The Present. Houghton-Mifflin, 2000. Gr. 5-9
- Traces the history of the black soldier from the American Revolution through Desert
- Coulter, Laurie. WHEN JOHN AND CAROLINE LIVED IN THE WHITE HOUSE. Hyperion, 2000. Gr 2-5
- John and Caroline Kennedy's 1000 days in the White House are depicted herein both words and pictures along with a glimpse of historical events that marked the Kennedy era.Crocitto,
- Frank. Ed. NEW SUNS WILL
ARISE. Photography by John Dugdale. Gr. 5-9
- Selected journal entries from Henry David Thoreau that show his concern for the natural world and the beauty of a time
- Johnson, Angela. THOSE BUILDING
MEN. Illustrated. by Barry Moser. Blue Sky Press, 2001. Gr. K-3
- A simple, dramatic tribute to the men who gave their strength, sweat, courage and vision to the building of America's bridges, railroads and
- Nobisso, Josephine. JOHN BLAIR AND THE GREAT HINCKLEY FIRE.
Illustrated. by Ted Rose. Houghton-Mifflin, 2000. Gr 1-4
- In 1894 amidst flames of the most devastating firestorm in the U.S., John Blair, the train porter, acted with courage and compassion. Here is the untold story of a hero history almost forgot.
- Rappaport, Doreen. FREEDOM
RIVER. Illustrated. by Bryan Collier. Hyperion, 2000.Gr. 2-5.
- The story of John Parker, an ex slave, who led Kentucky slaves across a thin stretch of river to their
- Stanley, Jerry. HURRY: AFRICAN AMERICANS IN GOLD RUSH
CALIFORNIA. Crown, 2000. Gr 4-8
- The sweep of the gold rush era is captured in the life of Mifflin Gibbs who mirrors the experiences of African-Americans in the gold
- Tang, Greg. THE GRAPES OF
MATH. Illustrated. by Harry Briggs. Scholastic,2001. Gr.2-4.
- Math puzzles that can be solved by using a few simple but effective techniques.