||Nancy's picks for the best picture books &
poetry of Winter
2002-2003. Compiled by Nancy Polette © 2002.
|Last updated: Tuesday, October 07, 2008
Carle, Eric. "SLOWLY, SLOWLY, SLOWLY," SAID THE
SLOTH. Philomel Books, 2002. Gr K-3
A sloth shows other
rain-forest animals the importance of moving slowly.
- Corey, Shana. MILLY
AND THE MACY'S PARADE. Illustrated. by Brett
Helquist. Scholastic, 2002 Gr 2-4
- Inspired by the first Macy's parade in 1924, the
author tells of a litttle girl who finds a way to combine her
family traditions with their new American heritage.
- DePaola, Tomie. ADELITA. Putnam, 2002. Gr. 1-4
- A Mexican Cinderella story.
- Dunlap, Julie & Marybeth Lorbiecki.
LOUISA MAY AND MR THOREAU'S
FLUTE. Illustrated. by Mary Azarian. Dial, 2002.
- The story of Louisa May Alcott's friendship with
Henry David Thoreau
- Dunrea, Oliver. IT'S
SNOWING! Farrar, 2002. Gr K-2
- Sensory images abound as a mother introduces her
baby to falling snow.
- Egielski, Richard. SLIM AND JIM. HarperCollins, 2002.
- In this "Oliver Twist" look-alike, a homeless rat
named Slim is forced into a life of crime. A friendship with a
kind mouse named Jim leads to a battle with the evil villian,
- Fisher, Carolyn. A
TWISTED TALE. Knopf, 2002. Gr K-2
- When a twister mixes up all the farm animals,
Bailey gets an idea to successfully sort things out.
- George, Jean Craighead. CLIFFHANGER. HarperCollins, 2002.
- A little dog is stranded. A storm threatens. Can
a young boy rescue the dog before it is too late?
- Grindley, Sally. THE
SORCERER'S APPRENTICE. Illustrated by Thomas
Taylor. Phylis Fogelmann Books, 2002. Gr K-3
- The classic tale cleverly retold and beautifully
- Kuklin, Susan. FROM
WALL TO WALL . Putnam, 2002 Gr K-3
- A book that will challenge kids to think about
walls in new ways.
- Kurtz, Jane & Christopher. WATER HOLE WAITING. Illustrated by
Lee Christiansen. Greenwillow, 2002. Gr K-3
- A dramatic tale of a young monkey who wants a
drink at the water hole but can't get near because of the other
- Littlesugar, Amy. LISETTE'S ANGEL. Illustrated
by Max Ginsburg. Dial 2002 Gr 2-4
- A story of the D Day invasion and an unexpected
angel that arrives at the home of a hungry, cold and frightened
- MCaughrean, Geraldine. ONE BRIGHT PENNY. Illustrated by
Paul Howard. Gr K-3
- Three children are challenged by their father to
fill a barn, spending no more than one penny.
- Osborne, Mary Pope. NEW YORK'S BRAVEST.
Illustrated by Steve Johnson and Lou Francher. Knopf. 2002. Gr K-3
- Mose was a firefighter in the 1840s. He was eight
feet tall and able to swim the Hudson River in two strokes. Here
is a tall tale of heroic proportions.
- Rocklin, Joanne. THIS
BOOK IS HAUNTED. Illustrated by JoAnn Adinolfi.
HarperCollins, 2002. Gr K-3
- A great "I Can Read" book for Halloween with
scary poems, rhymes and short stories told by a ghost!
- San Souci, Robert D. THE BIRDS OF KILLINGWORTH.
Illustrated by Kimberly Bulcken Root. Dial 2002. Gr 2-4
- Based on the poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow,
this is the tale of how children come up with a plan to save the
birds from the angry townsfolk.
- Schwartz, Lew. MOBY
DICK. Illustrated by Dick Giordano.
Houghton-Mifflin, 2002. Gr 3-6.
- A retelling, cartoon style, of the famous tale by
- Sharratt, Nick. SHARK
IN THE PARK. David Fickling Books, 2002. Gr K-2
- Get your telescope. Is there really a shark in
the park? Open the book and see!
- Singer, Marilyn. QUIET NIGHT. Illustrated by John
Manders. Clarion, 2002.
- A counting book that introduces the night sounds
of forest animals.
- Smith Linda. MRS.
BIDDLEBOX. Illustrated by Marla Frazee.
HarperCollins, 2002. Gr K-3
- Mrs. Biddlebox is having a bad day. Everything
seems to go wrong. So she rolled the bad day up and baked it
again! A very original story.
- Spradlin, Michael. THE LEGEND OF BLUE JACKET.
Illustrated by Ronald Himler. HarperCollins, 2002. Gr. 2-4
- The story of a white boy, who spent his first
sixteen years among white settlers and the restof his life
fighting them as war chief of the Shawnee.
- Williams, Linda. HORSE IN THE PIGPEN. Illustrated by
Megan Lloyd. HarperCollins, 2002. Gr K-2
- Something strange is happening on the farm, none
of the animals are where they belong. But Ma is too busy to sort