||Nancy's picks for the best non-fiction of fall
2000 and ideas for using them in the classroom. Compiled
by Nancy Polette © 2000.
- Armstrong, Jennifer. SPIRIT OF ENDURANCE.
Illus. by William Maughan. Crown, 2000 Gr 4-8
- This is the true story of the Shackleton expedition to the Antarctic in 1914.
Dahl, Roald. THE MILDENHALL
TREASURE. KNOPF, 2000. GR 5-9
- The true story of an English plowman who uncovered the greatest treasure ever found on the British
Isles and, not knowing the value of his discovery, was cheated out of the fortune that should have been his.
Duke, Kate. TWENTY IS TOO
MANY. Dutton, 2000. Gr. PreK-1
- A clever introduction to subtraction as one boat is too small to hold twenty guinea pigs.
Gibbons, Gail. APPLES. Holiday House, 2000 Gr K-3
- Information, brightly illustrated, about how apple trees grow, their various parts and the different
varieties. Instructions on how to plant and care for an apple tree are included.
Henderson, Douglas. ASTEROID IMPACT. Dial, 2000. Gr 4-8
- The re-creation of an asteroid impact on the Earth 65 million years ago with vivid text and illustrations.
Murphy, Jim. BLIZZARD!
Scholastic, 2000. Gr.4-8
- In 1888 from Virginia to Maine the region was brought to its knees by three days and nights of
hurricane-force winds and unrelenting snow. Here is the tale of the men and women who battled the storm.
Rose, Deborah Lee. INTO THE A, B, C. Scholastic, 2000. Gr Pre K-2
- A colorful, rhyming ABC book that introduces a variety of ocean creatures.
Simon, Seymour. OUT OF SIGHT: PICTURES OF HIDDEN WORLDS. Sea Star, 2000. Gr 4-8
- With photographs and fascinating explanations, the reader is taken on a fantastic voyage to hidden
worlds that the eye cannot see.
St. George, Judith. SO YOU WANT TO BE PRESIDENT?
lllus. by David Small. Philomel, 2000. Gr 3-6
- Backroom facts, spit-fire comments and comical anecdotes of forty-one presidents.
Thimmesh, Catherine. GIRLS THINK OF
lllus by Melisssa Sweet. Houghton Mifflin,
2000. Gr 3-6
- Here are stories of ingenious inventions by women, including candles, cloth, soap, helmets, baby
carriers, Scotchgard, windshield wipers, chocolate chip cookies and more.
Wethered, Peggy and Ken Edgett. TOUCHDOWN MARS!
lllus. by Maichael Chesworth Putnams, 2000 Gr K-3
- An alphabet adventure that reveals interesting facts about Mars and space travel and what you might find
on a trip beyond the stratosphere.