||Nancy's picks for the best junior novels
of Summer / Spring 2011. Compiled by Nancy Polette © 2011.
- Allison, Jennifer. GILDA JOYCE PSYCHIC INVESTIGATOR. THE BONES OF THE HOLY. Dutton,
2011 Grades 5-8
- Book 5 of this popular series. In the ghost haunted town of St. Augustine, is Hilda’s mother possessed? What can she do about it?
- Angleberger, Tom. HORTON HALFPOTT. Abrams, 2011. Grades 4-7
- Is Horton the kitchen boy to blame when all the rules in the manor are broken and a valuable heirloom goes missing? A fun spoof of a victorian mystery.
- Aronson, Sarah. BEYOND LUCKY. Dial, 2011. Grades 4-8
- Before his soccer team falls apart, Ari must learn how to make his own luck and figure out what it truly means to become a hero.
- Barrett, Reacy. THE CASE THAT TIME FORGOT. Henry Holt, 2011. Grades 4-6
- Xena and Xander Holmes are searching for a missing egyptian treasure from Sherlock Holmes’ casebook.
- Bredsdorff, Bodil. TINK. Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2011. Grades 5-8
- In leaving the village whose bad luck Tink thinks is his fault, he finds a hurt stranger beside the road. Their friendship enables them to provide the
village with much needed food.
- Buchac, Joseph DRAGON CASTLE. Dial, 2011. Grades 5-8
- When his parents disappear and the castle is about to be attacked, the young prince must save the day...but can he harness the power deep within the
- Choldenko, Gennifer. AL CAPONE SHINES MY SHOES. Puffin Books, 2011. Grades 5-8
- When your home is Alcatraz, your neighbors are hit men, con men and murderers. When Moose needs help, who does he ask but Al Capone...unfortunately
Capone’s help has a price!
- Defelice, Cynthia. THE GHOST OF CUTLER CREEK. Abrams, 2011. Grades 4-6
- Babysitting a dog is okay but not when L.J. Cutler comes with it. At the same tome another ghost is trying to each Allie...a ghost that whines and smells
funny. Another winner from this mystery author.
- DeFelice, Cynthia. WILD LIFE. Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2011.
- Erik finds a wounded dog and is told by his Grandfather that the dog can stay only one night. The boy runs away taking his gun and the dog, determined to
survive on his own.
- Durand, Hallie. NO ROOM OR DESSERT. Atheneum, 2011
- Dessert finds herself ignored by her family and wants to find a way to be noticed, Perhaps entering the Thomas Edison Contest at school will do the trick.
Or will it?
- Eames, Brian. DAGGER QUICK. Simon & Schuster, 2011
- When 12 year old Kitto’s father is murdered, the boy sets out to find a treasure, with many obstacles in the way including his pirate uncle. A rip-roaring
- Harrison, Michelle. THIRTEEN TREASURES. Little Brown, 2011. Grades 5-8
- Tanya, who sees evil fairies, is sent to her Grandmother’s secluded estate where a girl vanished in the woods 50 years ago.
- Howell, Troy. THE DRAGON OF CRIPPLE CREEK. Abrams, 2011. Grades 4-7
- A dragon who guards the gold deep in a mine is found by a young girl. When the gold rush on she must save the dragon n whose life is in danger...but can
she warn him in time?
- Hughes, Pat. FIVE 4THS OF JULY. Viking, 2011. Grades 6-8
- In five 4ths of July, 14 year old Jake battles the British army, barely survives on a prison ship and finally returns home war worn and weary but hopeful
about the new nation’s future.
- Ibbotson, Eva. THE OGre OF OGLEFORT. Dutton, 2011. Grades 4-7
- Orphan Ivo sets out to rescue a princess from an ogre but finds she doesn’t need saving but the ogre does.
- Moodie, Craig. INTO THE TRAP. Roaring Brook Press, 2011. Grades 4-7
- Someone is stealing the lobster catch! It’s up to Eddie to catch the thieves and rescue the lobsters...and his family.
- Myers, Laurie. ESCAPE BY NIGHT. Henry Holt, 2011. Grades 4-6
- Should Tommy, a southern by, help hide an injured Union soldier? An exciting Civil War adventure.
- Pinkney, Andrea. BIRD IN A BOX. Little Brown, 2011. Grades 5-8
- Three children with secret dreams won’t stop fighting for what they want.
- Preus, Margi. CELEBRITREES. Illustrated by Rebecca Gibbon. Henry Holt, 2011. Grades
- Short interesting descriptions of historic and famous trees around the world.
- Selfors, Suzanne. SMELLS LIKE A DOG. Little Brown, 2011. Grades 4-6
- What happens when a dog who can smell treasure is kidnapped? Homer Pudding, his owner will find out.
- Smith, Roland. STORM RUNNERS. Scholastic, 2011. Grades 4-6
Chase and his father are storm runners racing across the country in pursuit of hurricanes, tornados and floods. When the hurricane of the century hits
both Chase and his father will be tested as never before. An exciting read.
- Stringer, Helen. THE MIDNIGHT GATE. Feiwell and Friends, 2011.
- Belladonn’s parents are ghosts who have disappeared just when she discovers she is the Spellbinder. However she has many unanswered questions about her
powers. Should she follow a map given her by a ghost or will this lead to more trouble?
- Ward, David. BETWEEN TWO ENDS. Abrams, 2011. Grades 5-8
A young boy, a creepy old house, pirate bookends and danger create a fantasy hard to put down.