||Nancy's picks for the best junior novels
of Summer / Spring 2010. Compiled by Nancy Polette © 2010.
Last updated: Tuesday, August 03, 2010
- Colfer, Eoin. ARTEMIS FOWL THE ATLANTIS COMPLEX
. Hyperion, 2010. Grades 5-9
Artemis commits his fortune to a project he believes will save the planet and its inhabitants.
- Erickson, John R. HANK THE COWDOG: THE CASE OF THE COYOTE INVASION
. Viking, 2010. Grades 2-4.
How can Hank protect the ranch about to be invaded by a pack of coyotes?
- Fagan, Deva. THE MAGICAL MISADVENTURES OF PRUNELLA BOGTHISTLE
. Henry Holt, 2020. Grades 4-6
Prunella joins up with a thief when her spells do more harm than god, Both are in for a surprise in this fun adventure.
- Greenwald, Sheila. WATCH OUT, WORD WORLD- ROSIE COLE IS GOING GREEN
. Farrar 2010. Grades 2-4
When Rosies class has a nature fair things get out of hand when Rosie adds live critters like beetles, fruit flies and wool moths to her display.
- Gutman, Dan. THE TALENT SHOW
. Simon & Schuster, 2010. Grades 3-6
Kansas kids have a talent show to raise money to rebuild after a tornado.
- Hahn, Mary Downing. THE GHOST OF CRUTCHFIELD HALL
. Clarion Books, 2010. Grades 5-7
Florence leaves an orphanagge to live at Crutchfield Hall where a restless ghost resides.
- Harrison, Michelle. 13 TREASURES
. Little Brown, 2010 Grades 5-8
Evil fairies torture Tanya who is sent to her grandmothers countryside manor near a dark forest which holds many secrets.
- Hart, Alison. EMMAS RIVER
. Peachtree, 2010. Grades 4-6
Emma is more concerned about saving her pony from harm than about breaking rules.
- LaFevers, R. L. THE BASILISKS LAIR
. HOUGHTON MIFFLIN, 2010. Grades 5-8
A Nathaniel Fludd adventure...in pursuit of a deadly basilisk, the king of serpents.
- Leavitt, Lindsey. PRINCESS FOR HIRE.Hyperion, 2010. Grades 5-8
Suppose a girl could transform herself into a look-alike of any princess who needed her
- Lowry, Lois. THE BIRTTHDAY BALL
. Houghton-Mifflin, 2010, Grades 4-7
A tale that compares princesses to peasants along with mistaken identity, creamed pigeons and young love.
- McAllister, M.I. THE MISTMANTLE CHRONICLES BOOK FIVE
. Hyperion, 2010. Grades 5-8
Mossberry sees a tidal wave as an opportunity to rise to power. He must be stopped and the animals taken to safety in a race against time.
- Milway, Alex. THE MOUSEHUNTER: THE CURSE OF MOUSEBEARD
. Little Brown, 2010. Grades 4-5
Can Captain Mousebeard stop his enemy Isaiah Lovelock who is growing in power? Off they go to a land of lost mice and a terrifying battle that awaits.
- Myron, Vicki with Bret Witter. DEWEY THE LIBRARY CAT
. Little Brown, 2010. Grades 3-6
The story of the famous cat left in a bookdrop that became the library cat.
- Shiga, Jason. MEANWHILE
. Abrams, 2010. Grades 9-12
A graphic novel that allows the reader to choose tabs that lead a path to any one of 3,856 story possibilities.
- Simmons, Jane. BERYL: A PIGS TALE
. Little Brown, 2010. Grades 2-4
Beryl sets off on a journey to find a family who will love her.
- Soup, Dr. Cuthbert. A WHOLE NOTHER STORY
. Bloomsbury, 2010. Grades 4-6
A fun tale featuring three children, a hairless dog, government agents, superspies, corporate villains, a cowboy poet, a traveling circus and a sock puppet named Steve.
- Springer, Nancy, THE CASE OF THE GYPSY GOOD-BYE
. Philomel, 2010. Grades 4-6
Another exciting Enola Holmes mystery!
- St. John, Lauren. LEGEND OF THE ANIMAL HEALER: THE ELEPHANTS
. Dial, 2010. Grades 5-9
When a stranger claims he owns the African animal preserve, Martine
must fight to keep the reserve in the family, at the sam time rescuing twenty missing elephants.
- Williams, Alex, THE TALENT THIEF
. Philomel, 2010. Grades 5-8
A talent thief is on the prowl and although Adam Bloom feels he has no talent, he is determined to retrieve the talents of his friends that have been stolen.
- Williams, Maiya. THE FIZZYWHIZ KID
. Abrams, 2010. Grades 10-14
When an odd kid becomes the star of a TV commercial he finds it is not easy to go from being notorious to being a nobody once again. Is instant fame
always a good thing?
- Willnerr-Pardo, Gina, THE HARD KIND OF PROMISE
. Clarion Books, 2010. Grades 4-7.
Do promises made by five year olds hold true eight years later?